Frequently asked questions
Getting started with bills.co.za
- What do I need to get started with bills.co.za?
All you need to get started with bills.co.za is an RSA ID number and an online computer or cellphone. If your cellphone does not connect to the internet you can pay selected bills by dialing *120*3636# from your cellphone.
- Do I need to register to use bills.co.za?
No, you do not need to register with bills.co.za. You will need to specify your bank account details when you make a payment, so have these handy.
- What bills can I pay on bills.co.za?
Selected Mr Price, Sheet Street and Milady’s customers will be able to view their bills on their cellphone by dialing *120*3636#. bills.co.za may notify you via SMS or email if you have a bill to pay.
Paying your bills on your cellphone
- How do I pay by dialing *120*3636#?
- Dial *120*3636# on your cellphone.
- Enter the first 6 digits of your RSA ID number (as per your ID book).
- View bill and select the amount you want to pay.
- Specify the bank account to pay from.
- Confirm details and PAY.
- Get proof of payment free via SMS. Ensure you have enough money in your bank account before making payment or the payment will fail.
- What cellphone networks does bills.co.za
bills.co.za supports all cellphone networks.
- What cellphone models does bills.co.za
bills.co.za works on all cellphones that connect to the internet. If your cellphone does not connect to the internet you can pay selected bills by dialing *120*3636#.
- Where does the money I use to make
payments come from?
You need to add your bank account, debit card or your Visa/MasterCard to make payments via bills.co.za. bills.co.za debits the specified amount from your added account and gives the money to the company you are paying.
- Can I use my airtime to make payments?
No, you cannot use your airtime balance to make payments on bills.co.za. The money comes from the bank account/credit card that you have chosen to pay from.
- Is bills.co.za an automatic monthly debit
No, bills.co.za is not an automatic monthly debit order. You approve each payment that you make.
- What banks does bills.co.za support?
bills.co.za is bank independent. It does not matter who you bank with or what bank account you use because bills.co.za can process payments from all the major RSA banks.
- Do I have to add a bank account/credit
card to make a payment?
Yes, you have to add a bank account/ Visa or MasterCard (once off) to pay your bills via bills.co.za.
- Once I have paid my bill, how long does
it take the payment to be processed?
Credit/debit card payments clear immediately. If you pay from a bank account payment is processed within 2 working days. Payments will not clear if you have insufficient money in your bank account.
- Who regulates bills.co.za?
The South African Reserve Bank regulates bills.co.za. bills.co.za is registered with The Payments Association of South Africa (PASA) as a payer and beneficiary service provider.
- Is bills.co.za safe to run on my cellphone?
Yes, bills.co.za is safe to run on your phone. bills.co.za has the highest level of Data Security (PCI-DSS) in the industry. Your sensitive financial information is securely encrypted during transmission and is not stored on your phone. You are further protected by bills.co.za money-back guarantee.
- How do I know that the personal
information I send to bills.co.za from my cellphone is safe?
All personal information sent between your cellphone and the bills.co.za server is encrypted. This ensures that your information is kept confidential and protected from any possible interception. The encryption we use (256 bit AES) is also used by the American Government (NSA) to transmit information. If you would like to find out more about it, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard.
- How do I know if SMS’s I get from bills.co.za
bills.co.za will never ask you to provide any sensitive information via SMS. If you receive an SMS that does request such information, it is not coming from a trustworthy source and you should report it by emailing us on firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.
- How do I know that my credit card
details are safe?
None of your personal or banking information is stored on your cellphone. This information is sent securely to bills.co.za and stored in a secure format. Any data stored or sent to the bills.co.za server is encrypted. Your credit card details are similarly encrypted.
- Can someone else enter my credit card
details if they pay on bills.co.za?
No. Once you have entered your credit card details on your bills.co.za account, no one else can do so because bills.co.za only allows one unique credit card to be loaded. However, if your credit card is stolen, it is recommended that you report it to your bank immediately. This is the best way to prevent fraud.
- You are not charged for this service
- You can pay from any South African bank account or credit card
- You authorise every payment